Robin Ripley author of Wisdom for Home Preserves has developed a "go to" book for those who love to make home preserves. Now, I have made the occasional strawberry or fruit jam and onion chutney but I have discovered preserves are much more than this. Preserving food is nothing new, in fact it goes back to 12,000 BC, presumably to store foods. Most of our grandmother's generation preserved foods for insurance, as there were no 24 hour supermarkets like today and there would be guarantees that a large amount of food would be available. These days, (or in my case) preserves for a wonderful accompaniment to dishes. This book offers a comprehensive guidance on to store a wide range of ingredients 500 tips for pickling, bottling, curing, smoking and more. The whole emphasis on this book is sharing tips that are needed so we can become kings and queens of home preserving; here are my top favourite tips from this book as featured in the book. Tip 3 Understand why foods spoil, Tip 9 Prepare what you have and what you love, Tip 27 Regularly inspect and rotate stored food, Select a pressure cooker with the newer safety features and Tip 96 Let jars rest for 24 hours.
There are 8 chapters in this book including :
- Chapter 1 Getting Started: which includes before you begin, Get Organised
- Chapter 2: Bottiling: Preserving Basics, Fruits and Vegetables and Jam, Jellies and Spreads
- Chapter 3: Freezing: Freezing Basics and How to freeze.
- Chapter 4: Drying: Drying Basics and Drying Foods
- Chapter 5: Fermenting: Understanding Fermenting and Fermenting Foods
- Chapter 6: Salt Curing and Smoking: Curing and Smoking Basics, Equipment and Supplies
- Chapter 7 : Cold Storage: Getting Started with Cold Storgage, Cold Storage Produce
- Chapter 8: Beyond The Basics : Branch Out, Become a Pro and The Home Preserver's Kitchen.
My only critiscim of this book is that I would have liked a recipe and a photograph to go alongside these wonderful tips.
The lovely people at The Quarto Group are offering three readers of Food Glorious Food copies of this book.
a Rafflecopter giveaway