Jessica Nadel of Cupcakes and Kale is back. I reviewed her first cookbook Greens 24/7 last year and was impressed with her recipes which in-cooperate greens into everyday life. Greens 24/7 really started my love green juices and kale. Jessica's back with introducing Superfoods 24/7 and describes this as - "whole plant based foods, real foods with additional health-supporting properties". There are numerous ingredients which Jessica considers to be super foods including: almonds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, edamame, lentils, acai, pumpkin, sweet potato and many more. Also, in Superfoods 24/7 there is a handy meal plan on how to put a super foods meal plan together for different people, such as for children, busy cook and for those that love to entertain. I tried a couple of recipes over Christmas (there's some cracking sprout recipes) and some smoothie recipes to kick start the day. All the recipes are vegan, I've substituted almond milk for semi-skimmed milk and therefore made these recipes vegetarian. Would I recommend this book? Yes, it's an inspirational way of introducing a variety of super foods into everyday foods, not just for vegans but for meat lovers too. There are a number of recipes that inspire me, even as a carnivore.
The chapters in this book cover everything from breakfast to desserts:
- Smoothies and Breakfasts, recipes that I love include: Blissful Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie, Fluffy banana chia pancakes and Acai smoothie bowl with super foods topping.
- Salads and Soups, stand out recipes include: Apple, Beetroot, Broccoli Slaw, Coconut Kale Soup with Cashew "Creme Fraiche" and Spinach and Pomegranate Salad.
- Sides and Small Bites, recipes that I want to try include: Sweet Potato and Coconut Fries, Colourful Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Fresh Herbs and Coconut Lemongrass Rice.
- Main Meals, recipes that I love include: Orange Glazed Carrots with Dill Quinoa, Sunflower Seed, Pineapple and Chickpea Tacos.
- Cakes and Desserts, often my favourite chapter in cookery books, recipe to try include: Goji Chip Cake, Lemon Chia "Poppyseed" loaf and Double Chocolate Lentil Cookies.
|Crispy Brussel Sprouts|
|Kale and Pear Smoothie|
|Frozen Berry Smoothie|
Recipe for Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fresh Herbs - Serves 4 - gluten free
Prep: 10 minutes/Cook: 30 minutes
1) Preheat the oven to 190C (375 F). Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2) Trim the outer leaves of the Brussel sprouts and cut the sprouts in half. If some are significantly larger they can be quartered to ensure even cooking.
3) In a large bowl, toss the sprouts in the oil and season lightly. Transfer them to the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown and the edges have begun to crisp. Remove from the oven and toss with the fresh herbs and a final pinch of sea salt.
The lovely people at Apple Press are offering 5 lucky readers of Food Glorious Food a copy of Superfoods 24/7. To be in with a chance follow the instructions below and enter via the Rafflecopter.
- Follow the instructions on the Rafflecopter
- Join my blog and leave a comment (click on the left hand corner of the site and join using Google Friend Connector). This is an ESSENTIAL requirement.
- For additional entries, subscribe to my Youtube channel , Instragram , Google Plus , Facebook and Twitter .
- All entires will be checked and verified
- Rafflecopter will pick a winner at random
- The competition will run from 10.01.16 -07.02.16
- Winners will need to respond in 5 working days
- Please feel free to share the giveaway.