Believe it or not, this is my first Fermented cookery book: Fermented Foods at Every Meal. I've enjoyed making chutneys, pickles and preserves but never fermented anything. To be honest, my knowledge of fermenting was somewhat limited. So, what is Fermentation? Well, it is "foods that have healthful microbes deliberately added to modify them". Fermentation uses good bacteria to make food more nutritious. Hayley Ryczek, the author shares with the reader how you can easily make 10 fermented foods. There are further recipes which in-cooperates the fermented recipes into everyday dishes.
|Dried fruit chutney.|
|Dried fruit chutney|
Dried Fruit Chutney
Equipment You Will Need;
1 glass quart jar with lid (950ml)
Cheesecloth or cotton fabric square
Rubber band or string
130g chopped dried apricots
60g sweetened dried cranberries
80g chopped onion
45g chopped dates
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons raw honey
1/8 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
60ml raw apple cider vinegar
zest and juice of 1 orange
If you are wondering how to make whey or what it is, have a look at this recipe, it's best to start with making this first.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Mix well. Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart (950ml) jar and press down using the back of a spoon to remove any air bubbles. Cover the jar with a cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band or string. Allow to ferment at room temperature, out of direct sunlight for 8 hours or overnight. Stir, cover with an airtight lid, and refrigerate for 24 hours before using. The chutney will keep for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
The lovely people at Quarto publishing are giving one copy of Fermented Foods at Every Meal. To be in with a chance, follow the below instructions.
- Follow the instructions on the Rafflecopter widget.
- Join my blog and leave a comment (click on the left hand corner of the right side of the website using Google Friend connector) this is an ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENT.
- For additional entries, subscribe to my Youtube channel, like my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Google Plus.
- All entries will be checked and verified
- Rafflecopter will pick a winner at random.
- The compeition will run from 01.09.16 - 02.10.16
- Winners will need to respond in 5 working days of being contacted.
- The competition is open to UK residents, aged 18 or over.
- Quarto publishers will post a copy of the cookery book.
- Please feel free to share the giveaway.