As a lover of all things burgers, I welcome new and inventive burger books with open arms. If you can get past the innuendos of Pornburger this is a wonderful cookbook. One with recipes that are pure filth, which is right up my street then. The burger pictures alone made me salivate and the recipes are easy to follow. The author Matthew Ramsey, describes this book as "this is an ingredient driven Choose Your Own Adventure-style experiment, where all roads lead into mouth of burger madness. I agree.
The concept of this book is using key burger recipes and fully loading with a range of accompaniments. The photos are mouthwatering and fully loaded, unfortunately my photographic skills did not do this book much justice. There are around 80 recipes in the book and there is something for everyone. My only criticism of this book is that there is a large number of beef burgers and the different key burger combinations but only a handful of non-beef burgers, I think there is 1 vegetarian burgers. Also some of the chapters i.e Deer Prudence and Of Earth & Turf include 1 recipe per chapter.
|The Wooly Lamb Oh|
The chapters in the book is split in the following:
- Of Hooves and Heifers, recipes to try include: The Bambi (venison burger), Bill U Murray Me? (Juicy Floozy Patty & smoky barbecue sauce), Slumberjack (porn burger with buttermilk biscuit, cheese & egg) and Calicornication (Porn burger with eggs, avo and cheese)
- Of Fish and Fowl , recipes to try include A Fish Called Hitachi Wanda (Trout burger), I Woke Up Like This (Cheeseburger waffle and chicken thigh) and The Mac Daddy Burger (Lobster burger & jerk bacon rub).
- Of Earth & Turf, stand out recipes include Fugazmi (vegetable burgers with shallot confit & brussel sprouts).
- Centrefolds, a series of spices and blends.
- Getting Beefy, a series of burger recipes including: Maple-Bacon-Wrapped Burgers, The Juicy Floozy Patties and Oxtail Burgers with Sweet Vermouth Oxtail Jus.
- Let's Pork, recipes to try include Primo Pork Burgers and Half-Smoke Burgers Stuffed with Beef Cheek Chili.
- Belly Of The Beast, recipes using my favourite belly including Slow Roasted Pork Belly and Candied Proscuitto.
- On The Lamb, including Lamb Burgers and Slow Roasted Lamb Belly.
- Deer Prudence, recipes included Venison burger
- Fowl Play, stand out recipes include Duck Burgers Au Poivre
- Wet N Wild
- Farm to Veg Table
- The Pornburger Pantry.
There are a number of mouthwatering recipes throughout the book, but I thought I would share this gorgeous lamb burger recipe.
Recipe for The Wooly Lamb-Oth
For the lamb burgers
Makes 4 burgers
680g minced lamb shoulder, chilled
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chili flakes
a pinch of ground allspice
extra-virgin olive oil, for the pan
salt flakes and black pepper
1) Mix the lamb, shallot, garlic, parsley, chill flakes and allspice together in a bowl so that everything is fully integrated. Run the mi through your grinder, making sure to keep the grind loose. Measure out the patties on a scale, mindful of how you handle the grind, so they they're about 175g each. From the patties as lightly and with as little pressure as possible to ensure the ideal consistency.
2) Preheat a cast-iron pan over a medium-high heat, with a drizzle of olive oil. Season the patties with salt and pepper, and cook the patties like you would beef burgers, flipping on the reg, until you reach your desired level of doneness. Remember to allow your burgers time to rest before serving.
For the Wooly Lamb-oth
Grilled Feta Cheese
1 Lamb burger
Lemon and radish slices
Coriander and mint salad (dressed with extra -virgin olive oil and cider vinegar)
Rustic sourdough bread